Mike Hayes, a.k.a HEYZ, has been seen gracing the recognition and labels of MAU5Trap, Circus Records, and Deadbeats, just to name a few. The energetic (and particularly hilarious) social media star brings an energy to his performances and a sound design that is highly underrated, and hard to come by. The multi-faceted creative and bass music producer hails from Greensboro, North Carolina, and is rising to the very top of the electronic music scene with no plans of slowing down. We had the opportunity at Party Guru to chat with the viral legend as he prepares for his Temple Nightclub debut this Thursday. Check it out below!
The Official Interview
Party Guru Press: Maddi
Artist name: HEYZ
October 21, 2021
1. Hey Mike! It’s great to finally meet you and watch your come up as an artist. From MAU5Trap, Circus Records to DeadBeats…how would you say your journey as an artist has evolved since you began? You were recently here this summer opening up at the DeadBeats BBQ… how have you applied your knowledge/experience towards your sets here?
Nice to meet you too! Oh man, from mau5trap to now Deadbeats, my journey has changed a lot. I got signed to mau5trap so quickly after I started making music I was thrown into figuring out what kind of artist I wanted to be and what music I wanted to make WHILE just starting my journey. So I’ve pretty much changed in every way possible from when I started to where I am now, just growing and getting better and figuring out who I am! The DB BBQ was sweet! I just know Denver is spoiled with good bass music so every time I play here I know I need to and WANT to bring my absolute A-game. Temple is about to get it 😉
2. We’ve got some questions for you about Denver here. How do you feel about playing Temple Nightclub tonight? [It is your Temple debut…?]
It is indeed my Temple debut and I couldn’t be more excited. It’s my first Denver headline show so that makes it extra special. I see a lot of amazing artists playing Temple so I definitely want to come in and throw down and that’s exactly what I plan on doing. I’ll be playing a ton of cool edits and a bunch of unreleased music!
3. What makes Denver, Colorado stand out in your eyes?
The amount of amazing music that comes through Denver is incredible. I landed the other day and checked my BandsInTown and there are like 10 shows a night with quality stuff, it’s almost overwhelming lol. The FOMO must be strong here! Beyond that, I just really like the city and the people. Great vibes all around and there is a ton of fun stuff to do on a daily basis.
4. Denver is nationally recognized as being the Bass Capital of the U.S. Got anything planned in your set tonight for us? We hear your style has evolved into a very bass-forward sound, which has been awesome to watch over the years. Tell us a little about this.
I’m pretty much playing all my favorite bass records with a number of edits I’ve made to spice it up. I just try and pack my set full of energy and always leave covered in sweat and very happy and hope that goes for the crowd as well! My sound evolved from a Techno to a Bass-forward sound because it just felt more “me”. I love the energy and genuinely geek out over bass music records, and it’s super fun to make. It’s definitely more my world.
5. Can the Mile High City expect to see you here in Denver before the year ends? Or should we be on the lookout for next year?
I doubt by the end of this year BUT, I’m probably going to move here next year so expect to see me A LOT haha!
6. So, the funny thing is — I know I myself and others actually have found you on TikTok first. Explain a little bit about your journey on social media. Your TikTok has earned you over 361,000 followers, and 6 million-plus liked videos.
Yeah…it was insane. It was a result of boredom during quarantine and my strange personality, which apparently resonated with Tiktok. I started blowing up and yeah, now it’s just part of who I am I guess. I definitely want to branch out in the type of content I make but Tiktok makes it hard. They pretty much reward you for repetition and making more of the content you originally got virality from. I do really love Tiktok though, once you tailor your feed enough there is some absolutely hilarious stuff on there.
7. What is a dream collaboration you’d like to see happen? At a show going b2b, or on a project/song?
A dream collab for me would absolutely be Zeds Dead, hopefully, one day I can make that happen! I also love GRiZ and LSDream and think they bring a unique style to bass music which is really refreshing. I would love to do a b2b with one of my best friends Sippy just because I know we would absolutely go wild on stage together haha.
8. Tell us a bit about the musical plans you have planned for the rest of this year, and possibly into next year? Can we be looking out for any new music on the way?
I have a very sick Halloween mix coming out with Deadbeats next week that I’m stoked for. Beyond that, I have a lot of music lined up for next year with the first release coming very early 2022. I think next year is going to be big for me, the music I have planned and finished is definitely the best I’ve ever made.
9. Have any merch or special drops (any NFT’s?) this year?
Merch next year for sure! Haven’t explored the NFT space yet but feel like I’m missing out haha.
10. Be honest – do you think you’re the ultimate Party Guru?
DUH, JUST WAIT AND SEE THURSDAY AT LVL TEMPLE!
We can’t wait to see HEYZ perform at Temple Nightclub this Thursday. Make sure to check out his socials below to keep up to date with HEYZ!
Find Artist On: